Singles field completed for Family Circle Cup | Sports & Recreation
DANIEL ISLAND (WCSC) - The 2012 Family Circle Cup singles player field has been officially provided to the tournament by the WTA, officials announced Thursday.
The main draw contains players from 24 countries, and is highlighted by six former Cup champions, including Samantha Stosur (2010), Sabine Lisicki (2009), Serena Williams (2008), Jelena Jankovic (2007), Nadia Petrova (2006), and Venus Williams (2004).
Marking the tournament’s 40th year, the Family Circle Cup will be held March 31 to April 8 at the Family Circle Tennis Center.
“Our world-class player field includes four Top 10 players, nine of the Top 20, Venus Williams, and incredible depth provided by many of the young stars of tomorrow,” said Eleanor Adams, Family Circle Cup Tournament Manager.
“We’re so glad to have six former champions return for our 40th year celebration, and we know that our fans will be thrilled to watch one of the most exciting draws we’ve had in Charleston unfold.”
Four players had previously committed to the Family Circle Cup and have been announced by the tournament, including Samantha Stosur, Vera Zvonareva, Serena Williams, and Venus Williams.
Copyright WCSC 2012. All rights reserved.
Top Daniel Island Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Cops: Charleston man attacked, pushed wife down stairs
- Plenty of craft beer on tap Saturday at the Charleston Beer Garden
- SCE&G: Heavy rope fell on Ravenel Bridge, broke three light poles
- Annual Southeastern Beard & Moustache Championships returns May 25
- Student reports threatening tweet to police department
- Motorcyclist released from MUSC after catching fire on I-26
- Report: Man arrested after lying about gun in his possession
- Police investigating drive-by shooting in North Charleston
- Select Health of SC raises $5,000 for Lowcountry March of Dimes
- Cops: Suspect beat, robbed man after inviting him over for beers